Skip to main content

GRACE aka The Purple Heroine of noticing!

Loving Energy Flow Yoga was todays class choice. Perfect.
First of all, a room full of OM'ing people is one of the most beautiful naturally harmonized sounds my heart has ever been graced with. Second, my intention today was to be loving, to look in the mirror and smile instead of scowl. Not just open and relax my jaw but turn it ever so slightly upward.
And third, we did a lot of noticing and I had a bit of a hay day...

The first place I draw my attention toward in every class is - my armpits, and to be honest they didn't smell awesome. I quickly got over it, I'm not sure if those around me did. I will just take this moment to petition for more natural body scents (instead of perfumes) and I wish it was more acceptable - but that's a different blog all together ;)

The second thing I noticed was that I am really into purple right now. This may seem like a pretty apparent thing to not notice, since purple is a pretty vibrant colour - but as I peered down, in the first down dog of the day, the realization jumped out at me like someone that was hiding behind a corner. I noticed my bra, pants, sweater and mat were all purple (all purchased on different occasion)! I would say specifically that my purple of choice is "indigo". And now a moment brought to you by Chakras: Indigo is the brow chakra colour. It's connected to the unconscious self - the third eye. The qualities of the brow chakra are; intuition, understanding, fearless, idealist and fulfilment. Since I was nursing and being extra aware of my wounded wing (shoulder) I felt like this was a very intuitive noticing of the fearless me that appeared as I kicked up to handstand yesterday. What I feared most had happened, I fell, and although I am sore - I survived.*Insert fist pump* I was also dealing with a lot of anger yesterday and perhaps being a little too idealist about how my practice should have been going. So, is it a coincidence that I was suited up in my purple super-heroine suit? I think not!

Once I finished high fiving myself for being so awesomely purple, I noticed I was holding all kinds of tension in various spots of my body. I began having fun breathing into those places and sending them lots of (purple) love. Tara then had us stand and as she changed the song to something up beat she told us to shake our bodies out in a dancelike rhythm awakening the prana energy. She suggested we close our eyes and allow our bodies to move however we needed to, without judgement. My instinct was to start a stomping kind of tribal dance but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I felt so self conscious! I could feel the tension taking over and me quickly shutting down my urge to be, well...silly. The little kid inside of me wanted out so badly but I forced her back in where to me, it seemed safe. Maybe next time I told myself.

After class, I was harassed by a barrage of self-inquisition.
What happened to fearless Grace who could kick up in inverted poses she had never done before?
Who knew what she would do if I let her out?
Would I be able to stop her from taking over?
What would that look like...would it be so bad?
Where does our inner child go to die?
Can she be resurrected?
Who took her there?
When and how did I let this happen?
This was a new kind of fear for me. Letting the silly kid have the wheel.
I had no idea that there was this childlike part of me that I had restrained. I felt sad. Again, like so many (if not all) practices before this one, I felt the tears welling up inside and creeping out the corners of my eyes.
I don't have answers for these questions and frankly I don't give a crap if I ever find them. All I know is that I feel complete and utter joy when I see my children BEING - happy and free, and I am going to take a page from their book - from the book that still lives within me. I am going to dust it off and open it up. So if you see me skipping down the street, doing tribal dances in yoga, performing random cartwheels for my own delight, or just plain old inexplicably acting silly - feel free to join in! Fun is not only a choice but it's the general natural state of desire, and that's what I noticed today.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How quick are you gonna get up?

So I'm running tonight - and it's going fairly well until I look down at my shadow and it resembles a bouncing cadillac with a biiiiiiiig trunk. Ba-ba-ba-boing goes my cadill-ass. At first I thought I was mistaken, that isn't my shadow...or at least it's exaggerating the gravity of the situation here. Basically, I had a decision to make, feel sorry for my big trunk or get motivated. Every time I wanted to stop and walk, I just checked in with my shadow and it was on like donkey kong (do people still say that?). Thank goodness I had my headphones on, because in between songs all I could hear was some awful panting that sounding like an animal being sacrificed. I pretended it wasn't me and kept rhythmically running to some old Mariah Carey songs. So, I realized thinking of all the things I am thankful for would help me keep my mind off of the large wall I was about to hit, metaphorically speaking. At first I was thankful for my feet, my shoes that are so comfy, runni

Forgive-mess...

This blog has brought up a lot of emotion for me and I had to take some time to work through it. During a very intense conversation with Danny, I came to realize that because I have always put other people first, I put myself last and I eat to recover. I eat because it is the only thing (I think) that I can control completely. By control I mean, whenever I want it, it's there. Whatever I want I can have. I can make bad decisions and beat myself up over it as much as I want. I have been abusing myself with food. This is a really hard realization to come to and once I realized it I almost went further into weight debt. I sunk a little deeper, just enough to scare myself. I saw some pictures of myself from a birthday party and didn't even recognize myself. I know that people say this all the time just before they start making change and I can see why now. I have been using it to be hurtful to myself. Mask what's really going on, and almost wear a disguise. Another way to look

The adventures of naked face Grace!!

I'm getting use to not wearing makeup on a day to day basis now but to go to a special event where I didn't know many people - of all women - was a total new leap outside my comfort zone. I was really nervous. To add insult to what I felt was injury, my armpits were sweating so much I'm pretty sure my shirt was soaked. I then had to realize that sweat is natural and normal and that this too was "no big deal". Wow did I feel naked, exposed and vulnerable. I had to dig sooooo deep for confidence. I was really surprised by my feelings of inferiority. No one was making me feel this way, no one was treating me like I was treating myself. I had built up these standards and it was time to tear them down. At first I wanted to tell people that I was not wearing makeup on purpose. In the very least I wanted to make up excuses for myself like "Gosh! I am just so tired!" But I wasn't tired at all so why would I tell a story that wasn't true? I pulled o