Skip to main content

Who is that crying on their mat? Oh it's just Grace...

Today when I walked into my power yoga class I could feel something within me was off immediately because I wanted to turn and run back to my car. By that time though, I had already been greeted by the teacher filling in for Laura. I was uneasy because I am new to yoga and I feel comfortable in Laura's class right now and I didn't know if I was ready for someone else to see me awkwardly yoga-ing. I knew I had to move past this - I can't only go to Laura's classes, other teacher have a lot to offer as well.  The class was a little emptier than usual so I decided to put my mat near the front close to the mirror, that way I could peek up (or judge) at myself to see if I was in the poses correctly. At first I thought "you don't deserve to put your mat up front, you are a beginner at best" but I ignored my inner mean voice and placed my mat down anyway.

I decided to dedicate my practice to being present. Simple yet necessary because I knew my mind was full and would wonder off my mat the first chance that popped up. As I was in my first downward dog, I heard Shawna speaking about letting go of life's burdens that were not intended for us to carry and I really felt what she was laying down *foreshadowing*.
To my dismay, with each new movement I could feel anger ever increasingly pulling downward through my throat into my stomach. I then became mad that I was mad. Who is angry in a yoga class though, really? It was the kind of anger that's so heavy I almost thought I was going to throw up. "What is going on with me?" I thought but I kept moving through the poses hoping for something to crack or pop and release some of the heaviness.
That's when Shauna asked us to take our mats to the wall to try some inverted poses...(dun dun dun)

At first I felt excited because usually class is too full and I haven't yet been able to try any out. The first one was handstand. It was fun, we kicked up and I even got my foot up to the back wall for a split second. I felt kid-like and remembered doing this when I was in elementary school. The next pose we did was similar but from our forearms where we held a block and again kicked upwards to try and balance. The first attempt was easier than I thought which resulted in me overshooting my weight. I wobbled and then with all my weight all on my left shoulder I came crashing down. Hard. I was scared, embarrassed and hurt. Shauna came over to see if I was ok and when she put her hand onto mine, I wrapped my arm around hers and placed my head gently on her forearm. I felt like I was 4. She told me to roll over into child's pose, where I instantly started to sob. My shoulder hurt, but I think my ego hurt even more.
Crying on my mat is not an uncommon practice for me. Usually, when I am in shiv asana at the end of class, I shed a couple of tears. (If you know me, you know that I am a highly emotional person and watery eyes are a regular occurrence for me - happy and sad alike.) But this episode was not my usual silent flow of tears, it was a full on expulsion of something inside that needed to get out.
When I was finally able to catch my breath and wipe the tears off my mat, I found that the anger I felt in my throat was gone. I also recognized that it probably wasn't really anger at all but some built up combination of sadness + pride + the destruction that is self deprivation. My practice overwhelmingly brings my attention to the fact that I am not overly kind to myself. I judge my body and my actions constantly, leaving little room for compassion and love. I carry around so many huge heavy burdens of self-judgement alone, never mind all that needs to be done and wondering how my actions affect others.
When I came home and looked up "Shoulders" in my Louise Hay book and it read: Shoulders represent our ability to carry out experiences in life joyously. We make life a burden by our attitude. New thought pattern: I choose to allow all my experiences to be joyous and loving!
Sending love and light to my left shoulder and to all of you who took a moment to read this :)
Happy Saturday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forgive-mess...

This blog has brought up a lot of emotion for me and I had to take some time to work through it. During a very intense conversation with Danny, I came to realize that because I have always put other people first, I put myself last and I eat to recover. I eat because it is the only thing (I think) that I can control completely. By control I mean, whenever I want it, it's there. Whatever I want I can have. I can make bad decisions and beat myself up over it as much as I want. I have been abusing myself with food. This is a really hard realization to come to and once I realized it I almost went further into weight debt. I sunk a little deeper, just enough to scare myself. I saw some pictures of myself from a birthday party and didn't even recognize myself. I know that people say this all the time just before they start making change and I can see why now. I have been using it to be hurtful to myself. Mask what's really going on, and almost wear a disguise. Another way to look

How quick are you gonna get up?

So I'm running tonight - and it's going fairly well until I look down at my shadow and it resembles a bouncing cadillac with a biiiiiiiig trunk. Ba-ba-ba-boing goes my cadill-ass. At first I thought I was mistaken, that isn't my shadow...or at least it's exaggerating the gravity of the situation here. Basically, I had a decision to make, feel sorry for my big trunk or get motivated. Every time I wanted to stop and walk, I just checked in with my shadow and it was on like donkey kong (do people still say that?). Thank goodness I had my headphones on, because in between songs all I could hear was some awful panting that sounding like an animal being sacrificed. I pretended it wasn't me and kept rhythmically running to some old Mariah Carey songs. So, I realized thinking of all the things I am thankful for would help me keep my mind off of the large wall I was about to hit, metaphorically speaking. At first I was thankful for my feet, my shoes that are so comfy, runni

The adventures of naked face Grace!!

I'm getting use to not wearing makeup on a day to day basis now but to go to a special event where I didn't know many people - of all women - was a total new leap outside my comfort zone. I was really nervous. To add insult to what I felt was injury, my armpits were sweating so much I'm pretty sure my shirt was soaked. I then had to realize that sweat is natural and normal and that this too was "no big deal". Wow did I feel naked, exposed and vulnerable. I had to dig sooooo deep for confidence. I was really surprised by my feelings of inferiority. No one was making me feel this way, no one was treating me like I was treating myself. I had built up these standards and it was time to tear them down. At first I wanted to tell people that I was not wearing makeup on purpose. In the very least I wanted to make up excuses for myself like "Gosh! I am just so tired!" But I wasn't tired at all so why would I tell a story that wasn't true? I pulled o